2013 STEELTOWN FILM FACTORY
The Steeltown Film Factory (Film Factory) is a program of the Pittsburgh Entertainment Project d/b/a Steeltown Entertainment Project (Steeltown), a 501(c)(3) organization headquartered in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The Film Factory helps to identify and educate creators of filmed entertainment, and further contribute to Steeltown's mission to build a sustainable regional entertainment sector in western Pennsylvania.
Through the Film Factory, Steeltown is organizing and sponsoring a contest described below (Contest). The Contest is subject to these Official Rules, and by entering the Contest, all participants will be bound by the Official Rules.
To enter the Contest, you must submit an original screenplay (the Project), as defined below, in accordance with the terms and conditions set forth in these Official Rules. For purposes of the Contest, if you submit a Project in accordance with the Official Rules, you will be referred to as an Entrant.
THE CONTEST IS OPEN ONLY TO LEGAL RESIDENTS OF THE FIFTY (50) UNITED STATES AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA WHO ARE EIGHTEEN (18) YEARS OF AGE OR OLDER AS OF THE DATE THAT THEIR ENTRY IS SUBMITTED. Employees or directors of Steeltown or its subsidiaries, affiliates, agents, or other entities identified by Steeltown (each, a Promotion Party), and family members (parent, child, sibling, spouse or significant other, or an individual living in the household, whether related or not) of a Promotion Party are not eligible to enter the Contest or win.
The laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania apply to and govern this Contest and any claims must be raised and resolved in the Federal or state courts located in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, United States. All Federal, state, provincial and local rules and regulations apply. Void in all other U.S. territories and possessions, overseas military installations and where prohibited or restricted by law.
NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE WILL NOT IMPROVE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
Fees and Deadlines
The Contest will begin to accept submissions on 12:01 a.m. on November 5, 2012 and all submissions must be made by 11:59 p.m. on January 13, 2013 (the Entry Period).
To receive the student fee, you must be an individual who is regularly pursuing a full-time or part-time course of study or training at an undergraduate or graduate level of higher education.
Steeltown is offering a total prize package of up to $30,000 in cash to be used to facilitate the production of filmed entertainment based on the Project. Steeltown may also, in its sole discretion, provide in-kind services to an Entrant, which would be described separately.
All Federal, state and local tax liabilities are the responsibility of the winning Entrant(s). Acceptance of a prize constitutes permission (except where prohibited) for Steeltown to use the Entrant's name, likeness, biography, statements, and any other similar materials for marketing, promotional and publicity purposes without additional compensation or any limitation.
How to Enter
Project submissions can be made electronically. Before the end of the Entry Period, you must submit your Project to Steeltown at the official contest website:
To submit your Project, please follow the directions at the website. You may incur telephone or data usage or other charges from your Internet provider to submit your Project. Steeltown will not reimburse you for such charges if you incur them.
Projects may also be submitted via US Mail to the address listed here: www.steeltownfilmfactory.org.
Entries must be postmarked no later than 11:59 PM January 13, 2013.
2013 Film Factory Events
All Entrants will receive free admission to all 2013 Film Factory events, if and when such events are scheduled. Entrants will receive notification of any scheduled events and they will also be listed on the Film Factory website. Please call 412-251-0890 or send an e-mail to email@example.com for information about these events, or to reserve a seat.
1. The Project must consist of an original screenplay and be no longer than 12 pages in length, not including the title page. Additionally, a log line must be submitted with the screenplay.
2. All Projects must be in English and should conform to the standard screenplay format.
3. If a Project has multiple Entrants, all authors of the Project must be included as an Entrant, and each Entrant must agree to submit the Project. Any prize money will be divided among all Entrants.
4. The Project must be the original work of an Entrant, or, if the Project is not an original work, the Entrants must be able to demonstrate to Steeltown that one or more Entrants have the rights to the work. A Project will not be eligible for submission if it is based on other material, whether produced or unproduced, if an Entrant does not have the rights to that material, or cannot demonstrate that he, she, or they have such rights. This includes, without limitation, material based in any way on other media such as short stories, screenplays, teleplays, stage plays, movies, novels, biographies, or songs.
5. If a Project has been previously produced, sold, optioned, or is currently under contract, or if an Entrant has received any other compensation for the Project, it will not be eligible for submission.
6. A Project may not defame or invade the publicity or privacy rights of any person, living or deceased, or otherwise infringe upon any person's personal, copyright or proprietary rights.
Judging Process and Winning Entrants
1. With respect to all matters related to this Contest, the decision of Steeltown will be binding and not subject to appeal. By way of explanation, and without limitation, Steeltown will retain sole discretion to make the following decisions:
• determining whether an Entrant has complied with the Official Rules;
• determining if any Project is not appropriate for public release;
• disqualifying any Projects that Steeltown deems to be in breach of the Official Rules, or due to technical, legal, clearance or other problems, or which Steeltown deems to be obscene, pornographic, demeaning or otherwise not in good taste;
• soliciting the opinions of one or more individuals (Judges) with respect to the merits of a Project;
• determining the amount of cash to award to an Entrant;
• determining whether to award any in-kind services to an Entrant; and
• determining whether to revoke or redistribute any awards for the failure to comply with the Official Rules, including, without limitation, the failure to produce a film within the allotted time or the failure to participate in the Film Factory events.
2. Steeltown may award any cash and in-kind services to one or more Entrants (for one or more Projects), or determine that no Entrant will receive cash or in-kind services. An Entrant who receives any portion of the $30,000 cash prize will be referred to as a "Winning Entrant."
3. Any funds must be used by the Winning Entrants to produce filmed entertainment based on the Project (the Film) between June 1, 2013 and September 1, 2013. Steeltown will approve the final production schedule for the Film.
4. With Steeltown's prior written approval, a Winning Entrant may use additional funds to facilitate the production of the Film, provided that the use of such additional funds shall not violate any of the Official Rules unless Steeltown expressly agrees otherwise.
5. The production of the Film must occur in the southwestern Pennsylvania/Pittsburgh region, which is defined to include the following Pennsylvania counties: Allegheny; Armstrong; Beaver; Butler; Fayette; Greene; Indiana; Lawrence; Washington; and Westmoreland.
6. A Winning Entrant agrees to participate in all events related to the 2013 Film Factory (from November 5, 2012 through November 30, 2013), including, without limitation, workshops, competition events, production and post-production activities, and public screenings.
7. Steeltown shall have the right to observe all aspects of production of the Film and shall have the right to audit the books and records for any entity created in connection with the production of the Film.
8. Steeltown shall receive the first on-screen credit in the completed Film, which shall read "The Steeltown Entertainment Project presents," unless Steeltown and the Winning Entrants agree to include a separate credit.
9. A Winning Entrant shall grant a perpetual license to Steeltown to air the completed Film on any media, including, without limitation, digital media. A Winning Entrant shall also grant Steeltown the right to record and display the making of the Film for use on any media, including, without limitation, digital media.
Waivers and Limitations of Liability
Entering this competition will not limit your copyright. Entrants retain 100% of the copyright to the Project. It is suggested that all Entrants register the Project with the Writer's Guild of America (WGA) www.wga.org/ or the U.S. Copyright Office www.copyright.gov. Steeltown will have no liability to any Entrant or other person for failure to supply a prize or any part thereof for any reason including: by reason of any acts of God, any action(s), regulation(s), order(s) or request(s) by any governmental or quasi-governmental entity (whether or not the action(s), regulation(s), order(s) or request(s) prove(s) to be invalid), equipment failure, terrorist acts, earthquake, war, fire, flood, explosion, unusually severe weather, hurricane, embargo, labor dispute or strike (whether legal or illegal), labor or material shortage, transportation interruption of any kind, work slow-down, civil disturbance, insurrection, riot, or any other cause beyond Steeltown's sole control.
By entering this contest, you give Steeltown and the Film Factory permission to use your name, likeness, script, logline, synopsis, or excerpts in promotional and informational materials in perpetuity throughout the world without additional consideration, including but not limited to, use on websites, in print materials, or any other media used to chronicle or promote Steeltown or the Film Factory experience, including taping and airing on television programs, such as WQED's "onQ."
By entering this Contest, each Entrant agree to indemnify and defend (with counsel selected by Steeltown) Steeltown and its employees, directors, affiliates, sponsors, agents, or Judges from all claims, demands, losses, damages (including incidental damages), judgments, liabilities (including reasonable attorney's fees and court costs) arising out of or in connection with any claims of third parties related to the Project submitted by such Entrant (or Entrants), regardless of the merit of any such claim.
Each Entrant understands and acknowledges that Steeltown or the Contest Judges may receive numerous submissions of ideas, stories, and scripts and that a Project submitted by an Entrant may be similar or identical to that of materials received and/or developed by Judges. Each Entrant expressly agrees that the Entrant is not entitled to compensation or credit for the use of these other materials by Steeltown or the Contest Judges.
Steeltown shall not be responsible for the costs of travel, lodging, or other accommodations related to any participation in the Film Factory or the Contest.
Submission Deadlines & Fees:
(Entrants receive free admission to a Film Factory event: Call: 412-251-0890 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your seat.)
Early-Bird Deadline: 11/30/12
Standard Fee $45.00 $40.00 (WAB Discount)
Student Fee $20.00 $15.00 (WAB Discount)
Regular Deadline: 1/13/13
Standard Fee $50.00 $45.00 (WAB Discount)
Student Fee $25.00 $20.00 (WAB Discount)
Late Deadline: 1/15/13
Standard Fee $60.00 $55.00 (WAB Discount)
Student Fee $30.00 $25.00 (WAB Discount)
*The Withoutabox (WAB) Discount available on online through the withoutabox website.